With Memorial Day right around the corner, I thought it was only fitting to include a post on staying healthy at picnics. I have a few tried and true methods for not going crazy overboard with hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and especially potato salad (my weakness) at picnics.
1. Hang near the veggie tray.
Go crazy on that veggie tray. Fill up on veggies! However, skip the dip that usually comes with it. I am usually the host of picnics, so I am able to put hummus out as a healthier alternative. Veggies are full of fiber, which leave you feeling full.
2. Go for lean protein if you can!
Again, since I am usually the host of the picnic, I always make some turkey burgers along with regular burgers and hot dogs for everyone else. Sometimes I’ll even grill chicken breasts. If you’re at a picnic offering either of these, take advantage of the healthier options!
3. Skip the bun!
Whether or not there is a healthier protein option than regular hamburgers and hot dogs, skip the bun. If there is not any healthier protein options, have the burger, but just fork and knife it!
4. Skip the potato, macaroni and pasta salads.
These are full of fattening ingredients – dressings and mayo galore! But hey, let’s be real you’re at a picnic. Maybe you only get this stuff at picnics. If you want some, put a tiny taste on your plate. I will literally put a spoonful that’s maybe one or two bites of pasta salad to get my fix. Instead, load up on the leafy green salads if they’re an option.
5. Allow yourself one indulgence.
Pick that one item you know you are really going to want and let yourself have it. Healthy does not mean depriving yourself and having extremely strict food rules. Like I said earlier, you’re at a picnic, with lots of yummy food around. So decide..what is your weakness? What is that one item you have to have? Is it your aunt’s coconut cream pie? Or maybe it’s a few alcoholic beverages. Perhaps, it’s even a full serving of potato salad.
6. Be an awesome guest and bring a dish!
The best way to ensure you’re going to have healthier options available to you at a picnic is to bring them yourself! Below are some great recipes to try:
- Strawberry Poppyseed Chicken salad from me!
- Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw from SkinnyTaste
- Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kabobs from SkinnyTaste
- Buffalo Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese Slaw from SkinnyTaste
- Mediterranean Turkey Burgers from Tone It Up
- Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches from Daily Burn
- Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Muffins/Cupcakes from Me/PaleOMG
- Pineapple Angel Food Cake from me!
Have a happy, healthy, and safe Memorial Weekend!!