A few weeks ago I was on a long run with my boyfriend, Alex. The planned distance was 10 miles. Prior to this, 5 miles was the furthest he had ever run. I’m not sure I advocate for jumping from 5 to 10 miles just like that, but that’s a whole other post! Point is, he was not used to the excruciatingly longer distances.
At mile 6, he took his headphones out and said, “I’m bored.” I replied, “Just let your mind wander!” He responded, “I did! I have nothing left to wander on! Can we talk now?” Mind you, I’m someone that needs to run with my headphones in, and that’s it.
On my most recent run, I found myself getting bored, and I reminded myself to just let my mind wander. We really don’t get to ever just let our minds wander and go wherever they want to go in this crazy, connected world we live in. We always have to be “on.” Sometimes it’s nice to just let our mind go to wherever it needs to go.
If you’re the type to get bored on your longer runs, I’ve decided to put a list together of things to think about while you’re running.
- What you’re going to eat after
- What you’re going to make for dinner
- Meal plan for the week
- A conflict going on at work or school
- A relationship conflict
- Things to go on your grocery list
- Christmas presents for people
- Your plans for the upcoming weekend
- Goals you have for yourself and how you’re going to achieve them
- If training for a race, imagine yourself in the race and crossing the finish line
- Finances – How to save money etc
- Decorating ideas for the house
What are some of things you think of when you run?